Two interpretive panels on WW2 fortification and battery at West Head were designed by us in 2014. Whilst West Head Lookout is known for beautiful sweeping views to the north, it was once used by the army to defend Sydney from foreign invasion via Broken Bay.
West Head Battery
The battery was built during WW2 and comprised two, 4.7 inch ex-naval guns, an observation post, ammunition storage and two searchlight posts. The site was very important to protect the Hawkesbury River Railway Bridge and to prevent raiding parties entering Pittwater and Cowan Creek.
Interpretive Panels – design considerations
- On older style grunge font, reminiscent of the era was used for the headings
- A colour scheme of grey and turquoise was chosen to reflect the war theme, in a setting by ocean
The interpretive panels were designed in conjunction with stakeholders from the West Head Awareness Team (WHAT) and NPWS. A key member of the WHAT team is war veteran Jack “Bluey” Mercer, who helped construct the Forts in 1942 and celebrated both his 18th and 90th birthday (in 2013) at the lookout.
- Date: October 2014
- Service: Design, photo editing and enhancement, mapping and illustration rendering
- Specs: 2 signs, 1000mm wide x 600mm high
- Client: NPWS Community Partnerships Office