Interpretive hierarchy or signage viewing sequence is as follows:
- Headings or images – seen at a distance that are appealing or attract interest
- Images and illustrative materials – or maps and their legends which promote interest
- Captions – which explain the images, illustrations and context
- Sub-heading and labels – on diagrams and maps to be scanned for further information and finally
- Body Text – if the materials above have held their attention or interest
So, the all important content will only be looked at if you have a fantastic design and great images that initially attract the attention of visitors. Then of course you need the wonderful human stories interwoven with universal themes that everyone can relate to.